Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Update from the North Pole…

Okay- I’m not really in the North Pole…but I could be! It’s finally turned cold and wet and rainy here, I’m ensconced in a make-shift Santa’s Workshop (churning out presents by the dozens! erm, no, not precisely…but I did get two bags done yesterday…), there’s a Tree in the house (said the cat, with extreme doubt in her big round eyes), carols at the spinnet, cookie lists being drawn up, and cards being folded and addressed by late night T.V. Speaking of lists- it’s time for the Christmas Musings:

- I went Christmas Shopping Monday- first time all year, and it was T.E.R.R.I.B..L.E! The stores were thoroughly turned over, as if they were the victims of a burglary. With all the traffic (even at 9 am!) it was astounding how many people were inside the shops, too. I haven’t done much store shopping in years, but I waited too long to use my trusty old standby (Amazon- hi guys!) and had to brave the crowds. Oh my…

-I made our Christmas Cards this year, and am sooo proud of myself for doing so! I’ve wanted to do this for simply years, and finally just sat down a few weeks ago and got out my paints and went at it. Very soothing, very simple, and very effective(if I do say so myself!). Who cares if they don’t look perfect? It’s homemade!

- I’m making most of the family gifts this year, but kept it simple (I‘m sensing a theme here), focusing on things I’m currently making in my crafting- bags, purses, aprons, napkins, etc. It’s keeping me sane, and happy (cause I just like to make things, ya know?) and keeping costs down, yaay!

- Christmas Ornaments can be a source of stress for me (perfectionism, and obsessive-assembly-line-production anyone?), so Ive cut way down and focused on easy things, with only one “big” ornament. Cornstarch dough circles, paper snowflakes, and gilded walnut-shells are pretty and effective, while my Tree Faeries are spectacular and relatively simple.

- I’ve decorated the house simply, too: bowls of greenery trimmed from the actual tree, battery candle and dried roses from my stash. And so far the Tree only has some tiny round lights on it, but it’s so pretty!  Simple. Done. Love it!

- and last, but never least- the Cookies. Every year I try something new, but this year we need a few of our favorites on the table: Chocolate Chip Cookies, Frosted Sugar Cookies, and Pecan Snowballs. Okay, maybe I can fit in some Coconut Shortbread, and maybe a pan of brownies wouldn’t be out of line…

Ahhh, nothing says Christmas like a seriously over-loaded To-Do List and a Sugar-Overload…am I right? Hey you Faeries get outta that powdered sugar! No, it does not look like Santa tracks! It’s gonna look like an ant trail…

No comments:

Post a Comment