Saturday, August 28, 2010

Portobello Road...

I love mushrooms. Portobello mushrooms to be exact. Thankfully, the Faeries do not. Loudly and vociferously they do not. And if I don't listen to them? Why, they go away, in disgust, and leave me to my indecent appetites:

This one was Portobello mushrooms marinated in garlic, thyme and balsamic vinegar, on a bed of wilted spinach. Yum. To the nth degree. Lots of muttering and razzberries coming from the Faerie house that afternoon. I adore cooking, especially vegetarian dishes. Lots of color, texture and crunch in veggies, just waiting to make you feel better about yourself. And the world in general. I aspire to find the perfect farmers market in my city, and spend every sunday perusing its offerings. In the meantime, we have the local Henry's Markets, and a few Trader Joe's to choose from, with the odd run to Albertson's when they have a good shipment of corn or tomatoes in. This summer has been all about cooking. Dinner parties for the gamers, lunches and dinners for the man of the house, who is home for the summer. Burger nights, with oven roasted sweet potato fries, before it got too hot to even think about turning on the oven. And this was definately the summer of the S'more- we discovered how to do them in the microwave. BIG mistake there. But worth every calorie. Of course, S'mores don't have calories, cause there is no cooking involved. And everyone knows, if it isn't cooked, there aren't any calories in it. Am I right? Hmm..I don't think the Faeries are buying it. Unfortunatley, I think I gave them some ideas, 'cause one just dragged an eensy weensy weber grill out onto the balcony of the house, and is spraying it with lighter fluid- excuse me, got to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment