Friday, May 25, 2012

Orange Broccoli

So, I was fooling around in the kitchen last week and came up with a new way of doing Orange carrots. Put Broccoli in it! Here’s what I did:

Peel and slice a carrot or two. (This was just for my lunch, after all). Now, cut up a bunch of broccoli, stem and all. Kinda small pieces here, you want them to be able to cook in the same amount of time as the carrots. Chuck everything into a saucepan, add a half cup of orange juice, slap on the lid and gently steam until the carrots are tender and the broccoli is bright green and tender when stabbed with a knife. (What? it was lunchtime, and I was hungry! Niceties are for leisurely dinner making.) Now, crack the lid and throw a tablespoon of honey butter in there, put the lid back on and let it all melt together. Now, take the lid off, turn up the heat slightly and let the orange juice evaporate off for a minute or two. This will make a nice, slightly thick sauce to slick the vegetables with. Reheat some leftover rice, and you’re done.

DSCN5955

Wait, what? I’m done?? Where’s the elaborate ingredients list? I thought this was for Orange Broccoli? Where’s the soy sauce? Where’s the minced ginger?

Forget the minced ginger- you don’t need it anymore! Just try this easy-peasy recipe (which is more of a technique than a recipe anyway, am I right?) and enjoy your lunch- guilt free I might add! All those veggies! And rice! No starch guilt here, no fattening sauces, no sugar slump after lunch!

What? You need a recipe for Honey Butter too? Okay- stir a tablespoon of honey into a softened stick of butter. Boom! Oh, I’m on a roll today folks. Who needs a recipe? I got your recipe right here…

No comments:

Post a Comment