Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Ogling the garden path-

Happy Wednesday! I thought I would pull out all the books I’ve been reading these past few weeks and make a wishlist for my birthday. Ahem.

New Booklist for 2012- doesn’t everybody have a list like this?

Jessica Houdret’s Practical Herb Garden. This is such a beautiful book, crammed full of plant lists, advice, full colour pictures, instructions for rose potpourri, how to lay out a cook’s garden (gah!  A Potager! stop me now. . . ) and oh, for heavens sake- Lavender sugar!

Cory Schreiber And Julie Richardson’s Rustic Fruit Desserts is a must have- not just for the recipes in the book (which all look fantastic!) but for the ideas that get me ruminating about summer and fall fruit desserts. . .

Mollie Katzen’s The Vegetable Dishes I Can’t Live Without. The title says it all. Although I could mention the Brussels Sprouts with shallots and hazelnuts. . .

Harriet And Carrie Hargrave’s Quilter’s Academy Vol. 1&2. Oh yes I did! And I am cutting the fabric out as we speak. . .

Sunset: An Illustrated Guide To Organic Gardening- did anyone else’s parent’s have various and sundry editions of the Sunset series laying about? I love the line drawings in this book- they make me reminisce so hard about my childhood gardens!

Paul Heiney’s Country Life: A Handbook For Realists And Dreamers- um, I am in deep trouble folks! I want a cow, and a goat, some chickens, and a patch of corn in the worst way right now. Do not read this book if you even look at the chickens at the fair every summer. Just sayin’. Save yourself the heartache. He just makes it all look so easy . . .

Anna Pavord’s  The New Kitchen Garden will blow your mind. It has colour illustrations of every kind of kitchen garden you can imagine. Traditional? Check. Formal espaliered apple trees? Natch. Cottage garden? I am going to go live at the one she has pictures of in this book, as well as an illustration. As a matter of fact, I’m about to go on a world tour of all the gardens she has outlined in this book- be back next year. . .

Winter is the perfect time to check books out from the library, just to drool over the pictures and make lists of all the thousands of seeds and plants I plan to buy in the spring to create the most awesomely perfect garden in the whole and entire universe. Oops- my evil genius/scientist/gardener slipped out for a moment there, sorry ‘bout that. Don’t mind the woman behind the curtain, folks. It will pass- as soon as the sun comes out and I see just how small my balcony gardening space really is. Plenty of room in the kitchen for a few more basil plants though. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment