Saturday, July 3, 2010

Thrifting Adventures

I've been working steadily on the Faerie Mage's house, but its not been very exciting work, just sanding, cutting new doorways, building staircases, etc. So, here's something that was, and is, exciting. Thrifty finds!
I found this beautiful porcelain plate at the thrift store, which is now very happily living on my bedside table. Can you tell that it's a olive, shimmery golden color around the edges? The lighting is bad, sorry. But it is very pretty- the faeries are stumped, they can't figure out how to get it into the house. I've been told in no uncertain terms that I am to make them a set of these for the dining room. We'll have to see about that, so far i've only been working in wood and cloth...

I love old wooden picture frames, particularly if they still have the old glass inserts in them. It was only $1.99! Such a steal. This will have my diploma in it when I get it cleaned up. Surprisingly, the faeries left this one alone. Of course, they were very proud of me when I finished my degree, so I think they "arranged" my finding this, since it was almost too perfect a coincidence that I did.

This week's book is from the library. It is Joan McElroy's Dolls House Furniture Book. What an awesome book! She has a totally different way of putting together wooden peg dolls from anything I've found online, and the uses she has for wooden beads is brilliant! I've already fiddled around with chopping the top third off a tiny half inch bead and hollowing out the inside with my dremel tool. Need some practice before I show the results, but I plan to use the practice ones in the Foot and Fang. Oh! I haven't told you guys about the Foot and Fang yet! It's our rough-and-tumble, Medieval-Dungeons-and-Dragons-Fantasy-world Pub. I'll have to get some pictures of that up, too. Uh-oh, the faeries heard me, and are now venturing out of the workroom to look for it, since I don't have room to store it in here. Greedy guts, aren't they?

1 comment:

  1. I recently took a road trip to Julian with my lovely wife and we did some booking. It was fun to just pick a road and go, but sometimes we ended up on the side of a very large drop. So I like the idea of staying home with the cat and the faeries for awhile.

    ReplyDelete